Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough times… taking 'one' for the team

Wichita State staff searches for methods to remain frugal

""In these economic times, we all have to reevaluate and look at our budgets and be fiscally prudent," athletic director Eric Sexton said."

Colleges pinching pennies: Travel, media guides cut to save money

"Virginia Tech is asking its teams to try to travel no farther than two states away for non-conference games. Athletic director Jim Weaver said that's expected to save $50,000."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

What's $50K with a budget like Va Tech has?

Comment

Get ready to hear this as the excuse for why BCS teams won't leave their home courts to play games on the road this college basketball season.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
        What's $50K with a budget like Va Tech has?
        Yes, it's a ...

The fact remains these are difficult times and ALMOST EVERYONE is making budget and spending cuts. I don’t know about you; however I’m cutting my personal spending to the bone. The exception of course is our federal government who continue to spend us into oblivion. Back to the collegiate world; the overall economy and budget cuts in athletic departments could lead to an improvement in scheduling for mid-majors… at least in the short term.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I know a basketball team KU could play. It's in the same state as KU but the Jayhawks would have to cross a river, De-Nial. ;-)
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockCity
            Get ready to hear this as the excuse for why BCS teams won't leave their home courts to play games on the road this college basketball season.
            If the elitist BCS teams can't afford to go on the road, there's no way their less fortunate non-BCS brethren can go visit them. I say the NCAA should demand the BCS schools use some of all those tournement $$$s they've been taking in and help out their poorer members by going on the road to play them. :D

Actually, this could put some pressure on intrastate schools (ie KU, KSU, WSU) and close interstate schools (ie Tulsa, OSU, OU, MU, NU, WSU) that are not already playing each other, to now do so to save money.

Comment

I'd think the payouts they give to teams to come in and get their butts kicked is probably more than the travel costs. But I could be wrong.

Anyone know how much it costs for a basketball team to travel?
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                Anyone know how much it costs for a basketball team to travel?
                I'd say it depends on whether it's commercial or chartered. I wonder how many chartered trips Marshall is going to be asked to give up this year. I'm sure he is not going to be happy with commercial flying after being spoiled by having all his away games chartered -- or having to fly on the day of the game in order to save room/food costs. It also looks like Marshall and Company will have to be very selective on the recruiting trail the next two years if money is a problem. This may also impact our ability to "pay" for post-season tournaments (like last year). Yeah, I know. We made enough off both post-season games to pay the fee and still make money, but all we really need to do is get to the NCAA Tournament and we won't have to worry about any other post-season payouts. :) We WOULD find the money to travel to that tournament.

Comment

Working...
                X